Developer, August 2017 - Present.
Developer, February 2015 - August 2017.
At graze I quickly grew my skill-set and responsibilities, working closely with data analysts, UX designers, and various non-tech teams across the business to build proven customer experiences. During this time I have proposed and executed features to address fundamental business challenges, and proactively championed technical solutions to enable new commercial opportunities.
Defined The Future Of Graze’s Front-End Framework & Pattern Library
We built Pistachio, graze’s front-end framework and pattern library, to enable a consistent identity across multiple platforms and to address new challenges posed by collaborating with external agencies. Pistachio did this by introducing version control, documentation, test coverage, and a thorough review process. We remained agile by allowing each platform to layer new UI on top of Pistachio with less
rigidity. I helped lead the regular review of such modifications with our UX and communication teams to remove, replace, or standardise UI inline with brand guidelines.
- Co-owner of graze’s front-end framework and pattern library, Pistachio.
- Defined and championed Pistachio philosophies and practises within graze
- Responsible for the evolution of Pistachio’s build and deployment pipeline.
- Maintained Pistachio’s Node/Express.js based documentation.
- Determined the need for standardised UI components from across multiple platforms, working closely with fellow developers, UX, and product teams.
- Contributed modular, responsive components with automated test coverage.
- Member of design guild to work closely with the communications team.
- Produced “snackademies” to share technical knowledge and development practices internally. Topics included JS fundamentals, BEM syntax, the power of semantic content, and progressive enhancement principles.
Collaborated Closely With The Data Team
Being a data driven company I took advantage of opportunities at graze to work even closer with the data team on product experiments and metric monitoring.
- Proposed new product propositions and collaborated on experimental design to test these ideas, including identifying user activity and business metrics needed to monitor success. A key project introduced a new welcome flow for customers.
- Advocated front-end performance by demonstrating log pitfalls and introducing
RUM metrics to graze’s data warehouse. This could then be correlated with business metrics to illuminate the impact of on-site performance.
- Ran business-critical data processing operations utilising AWS services, such as safely identifying and migrating customers’ grandfathered price structure or discontinuing recurring products.
Developed The Core Graze Platform
I worked regularly with graze’s large monolith codebase, adding new functionality and refactoring business critical processes such as billing. In addition I moved the platform forward by designing new REST API endpoints, helping the platform team move to a microservice architecture. I also championed exciting new services such as Contentful, a headless CMS for semantic content, to proactively unlock new commercial opportunities.
- Developed the core graze platform, building PHP/MySQL features and integrations, including writing automated tests.
- Got involved in the design and implementation of REST api endpoints, helping the platform team in their push to a microservice architecture.
- Built front-end development and build environments powered by Docker.
- Championed the use of structured, semantic content at graze to not only fulfill the immediate need of a blog but to also unlock powerful future integrations.
Co-founder, August 2014 - Febuary 2015.
Towards the end of university I co-founded a web development business with a colleague. Pitching for and working with local clients such as Frank England we built their online presence. This often involved a PHP/MySQL backed website, which we hosted on a VPS, along with SEO and design services.
University of Lincoln
- First Class Honours Degree (BSc): Web Technology
Meden School and Technology College
- A levels: Psychology, Math, ICT
- AS Levels: Physics, Extended Project (web project)
- GCSEs: 10 grade A-B including English, Math, Triple Award Science, ICT
- NPM / Browserify / Rollup / Gulp
- Node / Express
- PHP / MySQL (PHPUnit / Mockery / Behat)
- CSS / LESS
- HTML / Structured Content / Accessibility
- Heroku / Travis / Buildkite
- AWS (S3, SQS, Elastic Beanstalk)
- Git / Bash / *nix
- Agile Methodologies (Scrum)